We have a mirror of the user and developer mailing lists on Nabble, but
unfortunately this has led to significant usability issues because users
may attempt to post messages through Nabble which silently fail to get
posted to the actual Apache list and thus are never read by most
subscribers:
In fact, there are replies to this very thread that were not properly
mirrored from the Apache list to Nabble.

Before Spark moved to Apache, our mailing list was hosted on Google
Groups.  Several community members were in favor of keeping the discussion
list on Google Groups, since its interface is a bit more user-friendly:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/spark-users/vtg-5db8JWY

See also:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-dev/201308.mbox/%3cce3c361b.fc97f%25chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov%3E

Since Andy mentioned IRC, there's actually an #apache-spark channel on
Freenode (I idle there sometimes).

I'll comment more on the actual proposals here in a separate followup
email, but I just wanted to add a bit of additional context in the meantime.

- Josh