FWIW I am a moderator for datascience.stackexchange.com, and even that
hasn't really achieved the critical mass that SE sites are supposed
to: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/55053/data-science

I think a Spark site would have a lot less traffic. One annoyance is
that people can't figure out when to post on SO vs Data Science vs
Cross Validated. A Spark site would have the same problem,
fragmentation and cross posting with SO. I don't think this would be
accepted as a StackExchange site and don't think it helps.