1.  Can the connector fetch or query schemaRDD's saved to Parquet or JSON
files? NO
2.  Do I need to do something to expose these via hive / metastore other
than creating a table in hive? Create a table in spark sql to expose via
spark sql
3.  Does the thriftserver need to be configured to expose these in some
fashion, sort of related to question 2 you would need to configure thrift
to read from the metastore you expect it read from - by default it reads
from metastore_db directory present in the directory used to launch the
thrift server.