I found the problem.
In  mapped-site.xml, mapreduce.application.classpath has references to
“${hdp.version}” which is not getting replaced
when launch_container.sh is created. The executor fails with a substitution
error at line 27 in launch_container.sh because bash
can’t deal with “${hdp.version}."
I have hdp.version defined in my spark-defaults.conf via
spark.{driver,yarn.am}.extraJavaOptions -Dhdp.version=2.2.0-2041,
so something is not doing the substitution.

To work around this problem, I replaced "${hdp.version}” with “current” in
mapred-site.xml.
I found a similar bug, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-8028, and
the fix was exactly what I did to work around it.
Not sure if this is an AMBARI bug (not doing variable substitution when writing
mapred-site.xml) or YARN bug (its not doing the variable substitution when
writing launch_container.sh)

Anybody have an opinion ?

Doug