From: Jan Uyttenhove <j...@insidin.com<mailto:j...@insidin.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 3:18 AM
To: "Ramaswamy, Muthuraman"
<muthuraman.ramasw...@viasat.com<mailto:muthuraman.ramasw...@viasat.com>>
Cc: spark users <user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: KafkaUtils.createDirectStream Not Fetching Messages with Confluent
Serializers as Value Decoder.

I think that if the Confluent deserializer cannot fetch the schema for the avro
message (key and/or value), you end up with no data. You should check the logs
of the Schemaregistry, it should show the HTTP requests it receives so you can
check if the deserializer can connect to it and if so, what the response code
looks like.

If you use the Confluent serializer, each avro message is first serialized and
afterwards the schema id is added to it. This way, the Confluent deserializer
can fetch the schema id first and use it to lookup the schema in the
Schemaregistry.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Ramaswamy, Muthuraman
<muthuraman.ramasw...@viasat.com<mailto:muthuraman.ramasw...@viasat.com>> wrote:
Yes, I can see the messages. Also, I wrote a quick custom decoder for avro and
it works fine for the following:

>> kvs = KafkaUtils.createDirectStream(ssc, [topic], {"metadata.broker.list":
>> brokers}, valueDecoder=decoder)

But, when I use the Confluent Serializers to leverage the Schema Registry
(based on the link shown below), it doesn’t work for me. I am not sure whether
I need to configure any more details to consume the Schema Registry. I can
fetch the schema from the schema registry based on is Ids. The decoder method
is not returning any values for me.

~Muthu

--
Jan Uyttenhove
Streaming data & digital solutions architect @ Insidin bvba

j...@insidin.com<mailto:j...@insidin.com>
+32 474 56 24 39

https://twitter.com/xorto<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_xorto&d=CwMFaQ&c=jcv3orpCsv7C4ly8-ubDob57ycZ4jvhoYZNDBA06fPk&r=NQ-dw5X8CJcqaXIvIdMUUdkL0fHDonD07FZzTY3CgiU&m=NHdl0YMOAR5ds_GMw-e5RQ4GX7_2pz0JGCveDNHYpcg&s=IgEUqhGm729eTbbVDC3X1RqxdU286XK5-V-21ir25VM&e=>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/januyttenhove<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_januyttenhove&d=CwMFaQ&c=jcv3orpCsv7C4ly8-ubDob57ycZ4jvhoYZNDBA06fPk&r=NQ-dw5X8CJcqaXIvIdMUUdkL0fHDonD07FZzTY3CgiU&m=NHdl0YMOAR5ds_GMw-e5RQ4GX7_2pz0JGCveDNHYpcg&s=dPIFPsJrLbWkKrnnLpOhcFZ9zHgBN1LLRC0SKQGFz6U&e=>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any form of
reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and/or publication of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. Whilst all
efforts are made to safeguard e-mails, the sender cannot guarantee that
attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept
liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.