Yes, spark-core will depend on Hadoop and several other jars.  Here’s the list
of dependencies: https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/pom.xml#L35
<https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/pom.xml#L35>

Whether you need spark-sql depends on whether you will use the DataFrame API.
Without spark-sql, you will just have the RDD API.