I would disagree.

While you can tune the system to not over subscribe, I would rather have it hit
swap then fail. Especially on long running jobs.

If we look at oversubscription on Hadoop clusters which are not running HBase…
they survive.  Its when you have things like HBase that don’t handle swap well…
or you don’t allocate enough swap that things go boom.

Also consider that you could move swap to something that is faster than
spinning rust.