>>> We generally recommend you install from PPA's not from the website. Our
>>> debian packages on the website are not packaged explicitly for Ubuntu --
>>> much better to stick to PPA's which are packaged by Bjoern (Canonical
>>> employee) specifically for Ubuntu. If I were you, I'd purge LIbreOffice
>>> completely and install through ppa without OpenOffice installed.

>> I never heard of the PPA over website version install recommendation
>> before.

quote

Most of the packages in this PPA have only experienced minor testing
-- in fact it is the place to enable a wider audience to test packages
before they are published into the distro proper. In general, this PPA
is _not_ for the average user to install without a closer look (if it
would be, its packages would be in the main repositories). OTOH, it is
_way_ _better_ to use packages from this PPA than using the *.deb
files that The Document Foundation provides upstream. So, _if_ you
want to be on the bleeding edge, do it here, not with upstream
*.debs."

end quote from https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa