The number of brokers doesn't really matter here, as far as I can tell,
because the question is about what a single broker can handle. The number
of partitions in the cluster is governed by the ability of the controller
to manage the list of partitions for the cluster, and the ability of each
broker to keep that list (to serve metadata requests). The number of
partitions on a single broker is governed by that broker's ability to
handle the messages and files on disk. That's a much more limiting factor
than what the controller can do.

-Todd