There are various costs when a broker fails, including broker leader election
for each partition, etc., as well as exposing possible issues for in-flight
messages, and client rebalancing etc.

So even though replication provides partition redundancy, RAID 10 on each
broker is usually a good tradeoff to prevent the typical most common cause of
broker server failure (e.g. disk failure) as well, and overall smoother
operation.

Best Regards,

-Jonathan