On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 14:29:40 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> The path I always use for updates is to install a virtual machine, get
> everything the way I want it, then guestmount the virtual image and
> rsync it to a hard disk partition where I'll boot it.
>
> Just need to fix any UUIDs and /dev/sdX that appear in grub.cfg and
> fstab, then make a "configfile" entry in your existing grub.cfg to point
> to the new one.
>
> After you get the new one to boot, you can run grub2-install and boot
> directly to the new partition.
>
> (You also need to turn off selinux or force a relabel of the whole new
> partition you just copied, I just leave selinux off so I don't have to
> constantly fight it).
>
> The great thing about this install technique is that I never have to
> take my system down till I'm ready to boot the new partition.

        It does sound like a very good way for those who can use it.
Unfortunately for me, I lose out at "virtual machine." I know what one is,
and even had one once (set up by an Alpha Technoid friend) ....

        Thanks for the clue, though. If I ever get far enough into
virtuality (as I should, for topo map purposes), I'll remember there's a
way to use it for upgrading, too.