On 09/05/2018 01:46 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 09:32:42 -0700
ToddAndMargo wrote:

The only time I ever updated firmware on an SSD was
when Intel was making me jump through hoops to
try to prove that it wasn't them.

The crucial (I think it was crucial) SSD I got a long
time ago had a bug in the firmware that implemented
the SMART checks that made it stop writing data
after 5184 hours of operation, that was fun when
it happened to all the early purchasers at about the
same time :-). A firmware update was definitely required
for that. (Fortunately it didn't corrupt anything,
so it started working OK after the firmware update).

I would have passed out holding my breath!

That is why I like and sell Samsung.  The stinkers
just work.  They cost about 30% more too, but
are far cheaper when you factor all the problems
with other suppliers into the fray.