On 09/06/18 10:03, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 09/05/2018 05:48 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> I would have passed out holding my breath!
>>>
>>> That is why I like and sell Samsung.  The stinkers
>>> just work.  They cost about 30% more too, but
>>> are far cheaper when you factor all the problems
>>> with other suppliers into the fray.
>>>

>> With regards to Crucial, Tom did say the experience was "a long time ago".
>> I've been
>> running Crucial drives now for over a year with no issues what so ever.
>> And, FWIW, if you need to update their firmware it can be done from bootable
>> media.
>> No windows required.
>>
>> I don't have the latest and greatest HW with the fastest of all CPUs.  But
>> my systems
>> all boot from between 10 seconds to 20 seconds.
>>
>> Here in Taiwan the 1TB Crucial is half the price of Samsung.  Samsung's
>> performance
>> is somewhat better but for my use case not a factor.
>
> Hi Tom,

I am Ed, not Tom.

> Good news on the Crucial front.  When I sell something like this to a
> customer, it MUST work without issue. If not it 1) makes me look
> like an idiot (99% of my customers are from referrals), and 2)
> costs me out the nose in free parts and labor.

A small sample size, I've not had an issue with any of the 30+ Crucial drives
I've
installed.  Also,

> 1/2 price huh?  Does this have anything to do with tariffs?

It seems to be more of a "perceived" quality issue and associated mark-ups.

My 1/2 statement was based on shopping experience 6 months ago.  Just went and
checked today's prices (consumer) and found the difference to be only about
40% more.  This on the popular online shopping outlets.   If I would go to
光華商場, were
you can negotiate, I could probably get that down to 25%.  I would not be able
to get
any discount on Crucial products (I had tried 6 months ago).

A wholesaler would probably have more leverage with Samsung depending on their
volume.

FWIW, I could probably write a paper on how shopping for electronics in Taiwan
has
changed from 1992 to date.  :-)

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a
fact.