On Fri, Oct 28, 2022, at 4:27 PM, Jake D wrote:
>> My opinion: This is probably easier in a live discussion on IRC or Matrix.
>> There's
>> just too much back and forth required.
>
> Are these different forums? I just googled 'Fedora matrix 'and I'm
> getting a lot of very varied  hits

https://chat.fedoraproject.org

IRC and Matrix are chat protocols. There's a bridge in place so that, in
effect, you're in the same channel whether you join #fedora on libera.chat
(IRC) or #fedora on fedora.im (Matrix). You can get a native matrix account via
element.io or you can get a Fedora account and use that to connect to Fedora's
matrix home server. Why you pick one vs another depends on how big your matrix
presence is, I guess. You're finding multiple options because of multiple eras:
IRC then matrix.org then Fedora got its own matrix home servers. But you can
access them all with any method due to the behind the scenes bridging. I
personally use cmurf:fedora.im (matrix using the Fedora matrix home servers)

>> But the absolute easiest thing to do is mount the encrypted btrfs, make a
>> backup of the
>> home directory, and then clean install followed by restoring the home
>> directory files from
>> the backup.
>
> I understand what you're saying but as I mentioned in a previous
> comment, I have 4 weeks of setup already in place on this system.
> Theres not really any files on there worth covering but more dayd and
> days of fiddling to get things working, much of which im sturggling to
> remember,
>
> Reinstall is essentially a complete writeoff. THeres no way I'll have
> it setup up again by Monday, I'll have to withdraw from the class and
> thats a large course fee  forfeiture I'd rather avoid.

OK, there is another option which is a clean install along side the existing
installation, but following this clean install you'll abandon the new root and
switch to the old root that has all  your customizations. Basically you'll be
doing a clean install just to get all the nuggets in /boot and /boot/efi in the
proper shape. Some post install surgery will still necessary though...

Is it more complicated to do a modified dual boot where we have two roots and
then switch the roots and make the necessary changes to /etc/fstab and BLS
snippets in /boot/loader/entries? Or just manually create every file we need?
Uhhh.... I think it's probably easier to do the side by side installation,
preserving the existing root. And then abandon the new root, while keeping the
replacement /boot/efi/EFI/fedora and /boot

But that's a guess.

So this is a draft I helped write for having dual boot Fedoras, i.e. two roots.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sumantrom/Draft/dualboot_f33_btrfs

That needs a number of modifications for your situation though. So I think
before going down that road we should discuss whether that's really the best
option or not.

> I really can't believe that these Linux systems are so fragile and the
> ONLY option is to start over, is there nothing like Resotre Points in
> windows?

Not automatically and only for the root (/) and home (/home). You've toasted
the /boot volume which is functionally like Windows' system volume that it
boots from initially, if you wipe that, you'd be totally screwed on Windows
too. And also these days on Windows you don't get automatic restore points
either, you'd have to have done it before the mistake.

--
Chris Murphy