On Sat, Oct 29, 2022, at 12:54 AM, Slade Watkins via users wrote:
> On 10/28/22 4:27 PM, Jake D wrote:
>> I really can't believe that these Linux systems are so fragile and the ONLY
>> option is to start over
>
> Wanted to hop in here real fast and say:
> Pop!_OS, which is my primary distro (with Fedora being my secondary),
> has the option to go into recovery (has a small partition just for
> up-to-date recovery media) and reinstall your OS without losing any
> personal files.
>
> AFAIK, it's one of the only distributions that has something like it.

Fedora doesn't have a recovery partition. But there is a (sort of hidden, or at
least non-obvious) way of doing a custom installation while preserving home.
There isn't detailed documentation for it. It's just a test case.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_partitioning_custom_btrfs_preserve_home

This is more official than the draft dual boot one I posted previously, in that
I try to keep this one up to date. But it's just a test case, intended for a
test setup to make sure installer functionality isn't lost. It's not really
intended as installation advise. It could be adapted into a Quick Doc for that
purpose though.

But my understanding of the original poster's issue is that he now has a bunch
of system level customizations. Not so much user level customizations.
Therefore the reuse home directory method wouldn't help much.

--
Chris Murphy