On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Roger Wells <roger.k.we...@leidos.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/2014 08:47 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>
> MasterPdfEditor is horribly slow to display my pdfs, which contain
> matplotlib
> pdfs with thousands of data points.  evince is very fast at this.
>

> evince chokes on PDF files with heavy bitmap-image content, like dense city
> GIS maps. (Probably due to poorly-implemented scaling internally; gtk
> routines don't do scaling well.) okular handles them fine.
>
> You have to pick-and-choose linux PDF readers depending on the application,
> unfortunately.
>
> - Mike
>

> How about the addition of digital signatures?
> Is Adobe the only option here?

I gotta say there are parts of this that are quite ugly with Acrobat.
Yes I get a GUI that helps me create self-signed certs and incorporate
a "real" digitized signature (scanned or photographed); but it puts
the signature file in a f'n obscure location and 3 out of 4 migrations
to new systems and versions of Acrobat I either can't figure out where
that file is, or once I find it, the new version won't eat the old
signature. So now I have probably 5 self-signed digital signature
files floating around all with different passwords.

And with self-signing there's no verification of the signer. All we
really know is whether the document has been modified since it was
signed, and maybe if the public key has since been revoked (although
I'm not sure how that mechanism works). I still find it better than
faxes, and I won't send PDFs with merely an image of my signature
because such PDFs can be altered while providing neither party a way
to prove or disprove that alteration.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/DigSig/Acrobat_DigitalSignatures_in_PDF.pdf

--
Chris Murphy