On 05/28/2015 05:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
Listed? Where? And again, why obligated?

In the package itself. Back when I first installed an nVidia card, akmod-nvidia depended on kernel-devel (or maybe kernel-headers; I forget which) but that wasn't part of the rpm's list of dependencies. You just had to know that it needed to be installed, or find somebody who knew about it. That, at least, is no longer an issue, although it remained that way over several versions of Fedora. I don't know why it happened, or why it took so long to correct, but it's hard to see how anybody other than the package's maintainers were responsible for the issue. Personally, I consider that making sure that the list of dependencies for a package is correct is part of keeping that package current, so I consider that the maintainer is obliged to deal with such things as part of their job because I can't see how anybody else could reasonably be expected to do it for them.