I think the answer is simple.

It's a bunch of videographers... they have their own video sites.

If this was a photographers group we'd have our own photo sites.

Youtube is fun as is flickr... but when you're really serious about
something you need more control and freedom.

Can you put ads on your media on youtube?  Can you make them higher
res?  Can you make them downloadable?

Youtube is fun for about 90% of the planet, but this group is the
1-10% who needs something more.

I find it particularly interesting that youtube makes it impossible
for anyone to make any direct money of youtube but youtube. Therefore
people are using it purely for marketing purposes. Which is exactly
what I see. A tremendous amount of vloggers post at least some videos
to youtube in addition to their vlogs.

I suspect the future of youtube is as a dumping ground for
corporations to promote themselves and serious vloggers increasingly
emigrate away from youtube causing a slow dilution of the space. This
is if there isn't just an outright backlash.

The bottom line is... "the center of the marketplace MUST remain
open".  Open spaces are where innovation and change happen so there
there must remain a balance between open platforms and closed
marketplaces.  And yes I use the term marketplace openly. These are
conversational marketplaces for ideas and media.

Just my thoughts.

-Mike
mefeedia.com
mmeiser.com/blog