Well Viacom have said:

"There is no question that YouTube and Google are continuing to take
the fruit of our efforts without permission and destroying enormous
value in the process.

"This is value that rightfully belongs to the writers, directors and
talent who create it and companies like Viacom that have invested to
make possible this innovation and creativity."

They have a point, a point which is also central to any battlecries on
this group when sites have not honoured vloggers creative commons or
copyright licenses.

Unlike Viacom I would not say that youtube are destroying value, they
are adding value but in a way thats beyond the reach of the infringed
creators/owners of the content, so I suppose as far as Viacom are
concerned this damages the value of Viacoms own service.

Im reasonably sure most hosting services do not want to set a
precedent by being highly pro-active in policing for copyrighted
content. They want to leave that the the DMCA system where the rights
holder has to complain, because if they havent got a technological
solution to do it properly then it will cost them a lot of human
labour. The other factor is if course whether copyrighted clips that
youtube has no rights to, have been a central part of their business
plan and userbase. Id sure love to know what percentrage of youtube
video views fall into this category, as opposed to all the content
that is now officially licenced (eg BBC) or created by independent
people (eg vlogs).

Anybody got any idea how long that youtube testtube stuff has been
available? They have a facility where people can replace their
unlicensed music in the audio track of your video, with music that
youtube is officially allowed to have on their site. I havent looked
at the available tracklist, but at least there is now a clear way that
people could do sing along/dance along videos to commercial music and
know that they arent being naughty.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Zenophon Abraham