Hey all,

Did everyone see today's New York Times article on how the Mayor
wants to change photography rules for the city?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/nyregion/29camera.html?
_r=1&oref=slogin

First of all, this is probably one of those laws that will be struck
down in court as a First Amendment violation. But apart from a
possible rescue by the ACLU or other activists, I'm concerned about
photographers in general if these rules are adopted. The new rules
are so complex that police could find a way to arrest just about
anyone with a camera if they wanted. I'm sure photographers at
protests will be targeted, considering how hostile the police were
during the RNC convention protests in '04.

I'd encourage everyone to all call the mayor & complain about these
new proposed rules!

Here are a couple of numbers:
The NYC Mayor's office of film (212) 489-6710
The NYC Mayor's office at (212) 639-9675

Talk show host/documentary filmmaker Alex Jones (the guy who did the
film "Martial Law" on the '04 RNC protests here in NYC) is suggesting
that people also call Bloomberg Media at (212) 318-2000. He suspects
that Bloomberg wants to give his big media outlets an edge over the
independent press, and Jones wants people to complain to Bloomberg's
company that the new rules would restrict free speech.

Ilana
http://www.downtowndiary.com