around the 1/8/07 Steve Watkins mentioned about [videoblogging] Re:
Hardball legal tactics. Was: The Histor that:
>I dont think its a new law though is it, just another wave of 'make an
>example of them to get others to comply, throw the book at them' type
>stuff?

you're right, old law. as discussed here recently, in Australia this
been the norm for years. Small annual licence fee, the money is
redistributed as royalties to the artists (they do audits of what is
played and bought).

>Added together these sorts of extra costs can make it hard for the
>smaller venues to survive, if they arent too profitable to start with.
>But its something Im sure most businesses are used to paying, I think
>in the UK that most companies accept they have to pay such things, or
>they try to avoid it until they are first approached, and then they
>cough up the moolah rather than having to suffer any further hassle.

here the cost for clubs has just gone up substantially which they're
all upset about, on the other hand if I sell a recording to an
individual for an individual cost and it gets played to a *paying*
audience in a club of 1000, it seems pretty reasonable that the
artist gets a return...

>I dont expect anybody that makes a stand in the courts to win, as I
>think the laws are pretty well established regarding public
>performance rights, but maybe Im wrong.
>
>Like when I was a kid, when they played videos at school the
>smallprint always mentioned that the video was not licensed for
>display at public events, in schools etc. I always wondered if the
>schools paid a blanket fee, or some higher authority covered it on
>their behalf, or whether they were being naughty and ignoring such things.

it is normal practice to buy a different licence for edu use. eg a
film that i can buy for $30 over the counter for home use might be
$300 but I can then show it to a lecture theatre full of students.
same logic as for the music. also why technically you can only
photocopy x% of a book to make available to students.

we can complain about it, or we can make work that is not subject to
these forms of copyright if we wish. :-)
--
cheers
Adrian Miles