Well said rupert.

On a side note, I just caught an episode of the latest Epic Fu, btw.
It's amazing to see how far it progressed.  When it started it was
trying to hard to aim at a young audience, definitely not for me. Now
that it's matured I think it reaches that same audience, but it's also
much more paletable and likeable for an older audience as well.  Quite
simply it has matured, it's definitely one of the most well produced
and best targeted general audience video podcasts / blogs out there.

I've see litterally thousands upon thousands of GA (general audience)
podcasts, from a whole slew from former techTV people, dozens from
Revision3/ the digg crew. Hundreds from mid level newspaper and
magazine publishers from NYtimes, regional ABC affiliates, Washington
Post, lifestyle magazines... and pretty much across the board they ALL
completely fail to connect with their market.

Quite simply put they're either "throwing content up that hopefully
people will watch"... or alternatively... talking at you... without
any real understanding of what their audience is.

The one thing that makes a great blog, vlog or audio podcast a great
audio podcast is a well defined, well connected, recipricating
relationship with an an audience and a community.  Rocketboom, ask a
ninja, Epic Fu, Wallstrip, most obviously Ze Frank.... you see this
over... there are some very specific keys as to how they connect but
I'm not going to spend my time laying them out for Jason.  The bottom
line is if you want a mass audience you have to earn it.

The only advice I will give him is the same things that work in blog
space... boingboing to engadet, are the very same things that work in
vlog space.

BTW, I'm a fan of Veronica's, but I did not care for and still don't
care for any of those CNET videoblogs.. I'm sure they have their
market, but the bottom line is they fit right into that category of
what all the other mainstream newspaper and lifestyle magazines are
doing. It's as if they want to be TV. You can't just flip on the
camera and talk into it. They're as blank and impersonal as the
thousand yard stare.  They're not looking at me, they're not talking
to me.

P.S. I forgot to mention Mobuzz and Webalert as two other examples of
better shows on the net, but then there's a bunch I've missed.

-Mike