There is excellent work on You Tube. There are excellent people calling
themselves videobloggers on You Tube doing work that can stand with that of
the people Rupert cites and who have carved out niches where there is
dynamic conversation going in relatively flame-free environment.

Here's one, who I've posted before:
youtube.com/atree3

And yes, there are droves of imagination-free talking headers (that is NOT
saying anyone doing talking-head vlogs is imagination-free) and 13 year old
(and 50 year olds who are still 13 inside) flamers/abusers and lolcatz or
whatever. The problem is indeed, as Gena suggests, finding the pearls in the
ocean of plastic bags.

And YouTube is, for better or worse, now a (the?) public commons AND a
genuine exhibition space. It also now has by far the best re-encoding
quality around (blip's approach of letting you do your own is naturally
preferable, at least to me), and is continually trying to become more
relevant and maker-friendly. This is coming from someone who has have a
knee-jerk avoidance reaction to big companies and big sites. Like it or not,
for 95% of people You Tube = Online Video.  Just like Kleenex = facial
tissue.

The term "vlogger" was co-opted. Just like so many alterna-labels before,
from ambient music (what the hell does Music for Airports have to do with
rhythmic chill-out music?) to "video artist" (I'm sure Bill Viola and Bruce
Naumann do not think of themselves as "VJs".). It turned into YouTube vlogs,
 sites like vloggerheads positioned themselves as the alternative to that,
and just as almost no one remembers Jennicam, few recognize the roots of
vlogging in what happened among the remarkable folks in this group. That's
sad (also correctable in the long run), but vlogging's not dead. It's just
gone mainstream, and as happens to so many things, became watered down in
the process.

Brook

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM, compumavengal
<compumaven...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> Rupert there are people doing diverse work - just they don't call
> themselves videobloggers. The problem is that it is still too hard to find
> alternative content. Search engines don't cut it for us. They can help but
> alternative distribution paths have to be consider.
>
> It is hard to hold on when you don't know if your being seen or heard.
>
> This is an excellent video of podcaster Adrea Ross at PAB2010. She is
> explaining how she and her husband got started, the ups and then downs of
> what they were doing. When they stopped the podcast, things happened.
>

> http://www.podcastersacrossborders.com/2010/07/07/contested-irrelevance-a-pab2010-jolt-by-andrea-ross/
>
> Podcasters Across Borders
> http://www.podcastersacrossborders.com
>
> I would have loved to be a good as Croma, Daniel and the others. I'm not.
> But last Saturday I recorded video of poets. I was where I needed to be. I
> freely give them the video to do whatever they want with it.
>
> There are other communities that need to be included. We do what we can
> when we can.
>
> Gena

> Rupert Howe <rup...@...> wrote:
> >
> > I agree that the technology has evolved and is more widely used, and
> > people are moving on to more advanced and commercial ways of making
> > videos, and that some of our technological 'goals' have been achieved.
> >
> > But it's more the *type* of videos that I'm thinking about.
> >
> > From 2004-7, I got excited about a new type of video - not a talking
> > head webcam monologue or a clone of a commercial TV format, but the
> > capturing and sharing of moments, editing them together and creating
> > what were in effect personal documentaries. An individual observing
> > and interpreting the world around them with a pocket video camera and
> > iMovie. Transforming Life to Art, intentionally or not.
> >
> > - Cutting personal video diaries into nicely cut fllms
> > - or just stitching together moving snapshots like a photo album
> > - or passionate handheld to-camera opinions, observations and
> > conversations.
> > - and beyond that, a wider range of more experimental personal video
> > art.
> >
> > All in the context of comments & community.
> >
> > I'm thinking of the range from Mike Moon to Ryanne Hodson to David
> > Kessler to Robert Croma to Daniel Liss.
> >
> > Quite a range, but you could curate an exhibition with videos from all
> > of them and see a clear coherent link.
> >
> > Maybe all this stuff is still going on, I just don't see so much of it
> > any more.
> >
> > Rupert
> > http://twittervlog.tv
> >

> > On 19 Jul 2010, at 13:41, compumavengal wrote:
> >
> > > No, I don't think it is dead but it has been evolving for quite some
> > > time. Many of the goals of the early pioneers and adopters have been
> > > achieved.
> > >
> > > We wanted to be able to upload and distribute our content. We wanted
> > > engagement by a diverse group of people. We got it.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: