I looking at web2py book here:

http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/34/05

Tha A helper takes a special argument called cid. It works as follows:
> {{=A('linked page', _href='http://example.com', cid='myid')}}
>
> and a click on the link causes the content to be loaded in the div. This
> is similar but more powerful than the above syntax since it is designed to
> refresh page components. We discuss applications of cid in more detail in
> Chapter 12, in the context of components.
> These ajax features require jQuery and "static/js/web2py_ajax.js", which
> are automatically included by placing {{include 'web2py_ajax.html'}} in
> the layout head. "views/web2py_ajax.html" defines some variables based on
> request and includes all necessary js and css files.

Here's what I've done:

index page:
{{extend "layout.html"}}
_href=URL('default','view',args=[post.id],user_signature=True),
cid='post1234')}}</p>

But when I click on the link, nothing appears in the <div id="post1234" />.
I didn't make changes to layout.html, which means, web2py_ajax.html is
already included.

When it is a normal link (aka no cid in the A helper), the page ("view")
loads fine.