> On 28-Oct-13 22:05, Tunney, Stephen wrote:
>> Ok, good to know.  I have thousands of components though spread across a
>> dozen features.  Those features are shared amongst 8 products :)

Stephen, how did you make out with your patch creation using this Pure-Wix
method?

We are just looking into the patching methods and I have done examples of
both Patch Creation Properties as well as Pure Wix and I have gotten them
working, but as I was documenting my findings I found the reference to MELT
and therefore that throw a bit of a wench into things as my tests were all
based on strict paths. After reading about if the build system moves thing
around then I figured that we would then have issues.

Anyways slightly off topic I wanted to talk about... We also have thousands
of components in multiple fragments and wixlibs and therefore would not want
to create a patch .wxs file that has to list every ComponentRef under the
PatchFamily element. Now with my tests I created V1.0 with 5 files and then
I updated all but 1 file for V1.1. In my patch .wxs file I only added a
ComponentRef to one of the components. I then generated the patch and
installed V1.0. I then ran the patch .msp and all the files were correctly
updated except for the one that did not change. So is this expected behavior
or what?

I just need to know if I use this method what ComponentRef are needed. Since
I only had one file with component does it mean that if I have multiple
component fragment files that I have to at least reference one component
from each fragment to make this work?? If so then I would think that working
with PatchCreation and extracted .msi files would be less complicated...

Thanks..