Okay Rob, taking out the PatchFamily does allow the patch to all updated
files to be correctly patched and therefore does reduce the complexity of
this method...

Now if we look at Stephen's issue I can see this being a major concern as we
also do the same thing where files are updated with version and signing each
build and therefore when building the new version all files are updated, but
we could have simply a couple files that actually have code changes in them
that we want patched.

If you knew of all files that were to be patched then yes you could simply
place these files into a folder that contained the previous version and have
the install built from that and therefore the patch creation would then only
see the updated files and correctly patch them, but this is not as easy as
it sounds as being install developers we may not know of all the files the
developers are updating and the build definitely does not let us know and
therefore it would be a pain having to figure out what changed and what only
had version/signing changes.

So it would be great if there was a setting in the patch.wxs that we can set
to only get file binary changes instead of whole files. This way even if we
got bit differences of files that only had version and signing differences
these would not be big differences and therefore the patch .msp would not be
that much bigger than if it had to take whole files. So is there a setting
that will allow for just bit differences or will we have to do it the hard
way and find the files that are updated and to be patched?

Thanks, Tim.