At 10:10 AM 1/31/2001 -0500, Yader, Mark (GXS) wrote:
>However, don't you think the platform vendors and the application vendors
>will continue to support XML standards, with the eventual outcome that B2B
>and A2A will be alot easier (and cheaper) ?

No I don't.  XML will develop transactions standards just as X12
did.  However it is the flexible use of that standard that presents the
problem.  This occurs in XML just the same as in X12.  It has nothing to do
with the formatting of the data.  It has to do with the need of businesses
to compete and thus to use a better model and to tweak an existing
standard.  This is what is so expensive labor wise for the SME's.

The idea of a "standard" PO or ASN is a myth and will never happen in a
competitive worlds.  this is the same myth that troubles any exchange of
business documents regardless of format (X12, XML, etc).

>You didn't mention any specific XML standards in your e-mail......I'd be
>interesting in hearing your experience/views with RosettaNet and its impact
>on your company and others in Silicon Valley.

Four groups at Cisco use RosettaNet mine included.  Three groups use custom
modified PIPs.  My group created our own entire PIPs as there were none
from RosettaNet.  We are using RosettaNet's RNIF 1.1 transport protocol
with https.  Implementation rates seem to be a year plus.  One one trading
partnership is in production