From: robi sen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The XML/EDI has no Clothes!

Racheal,

Just thought I would comment on XML learning curve since you mention XML
"standards".  Recently the company I work for trained some of our new hires
in
XML technologies which included XSLT, DOM, DTD's, XML, and SCHEMEs as well
as
how to work with apache and IBM tools in JAVA.  Almost all of the new hires
where proficient and comfortable with the technologies with in a week!  XML
and
XML related technologies are incredible simple and easy to learn in fact the
most common utterance from people that I hear including clients is that it
can
not be that easy.

As for thinking about "the whole array, figure out which ones are needed,
architect a system and
then assemble/acquire/implement the tool".  I am very happy to since its so
simple and straight forward.  What is also a refreashing experiance for me
is
that clients with a little education are even able to become part of the
development process since they seem to pick it up very quickly as well.

Robi

Rachel Foerster wrote:

> Steve,
>
> You are totally on the mark. It is, was, and will be the challenge of
> semantic alignment of the business information being exchanged and then
the
> mapping of that to the backend systems, that is the heartburn of EDI, edi,
> XML, or any other flavor of file structure/format. This still requires
human
> intelligence, evaluation and judgment. It's this challenge that the
hypsters
> just refuse to recognize. This is also where all of the major expense
comes
> in.
>
> Also, has anyone taken a look recently at the "family" of XML standards
now
> available? It's not just XML, but DTD, Schema, DOM, DOM-2, DOM-3, XSL,
XSLT,
> RDT, Namespace, to name just a few. Just think about trying to understand
> the whole array, figure out which ones are needed, architect a system and
> then assemble/acquire/implement the tools. What a nightmare! And they told
> us EDI was too complex, costly and time consuming. We haven't seen
anything
> yet! Who wants to bet on the SME's going down this path?
>
> But, so what....it's the new kid on the block....perhaps/hopefully these
new
> kids will enable new ways of business information/message exchanges.
They're
> just the natural progression of things. Who remembers board-wiring to
> program computers? And then writing in Assembler, PL/1, Algol, Cobol,
> Fortan, Pascal, C, C++, Java, and perhaps, soon C#!!!!
>
> Ain't this fun!
>
> Rachel

April