It remains to be proven, but I think if we did a decent job of short-circuiting the geometry rejection in the actual renderer then we'd be easily as fast, if not faster than this technique. Faster because it wouldn't require 2 stages, but since we'd likely do the computations to make sure that the dashing remained consistent we'd have to try it out and see.

On the other hand, if you amortize the cost of this clipping over multiple changes of view (i.e. you clip to a large surrounding area and let the user scroll for a bit before you invalidate your clipping area and perform another clip stage), then we may not be able to approach that in the renderer.

Still, this is a simple addition to the renderer that could perform the same task more accurately, if not faster...

                        ...jim