From: Sergey Bylokhov
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:07 AM
To: Philip Race
Cc: 2d-dev
Subject: Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8225007:
java/awt/print/PrinterJob/LandscapeStackOverflow.java may hang

On 29/05/2019 18:06, Philip Race wrote:
> This test does not check. Nor does (IIRC) the implementation,

[1] I guess it is checked in the RasterPrintJob.print() where the code call the
getPrintService(). And getPrintService() returns null if there are no printers
installed, as a result "new PrinterException("No print service found.") is
thrown.

I checked this test on win10 w/o printers installed and it pass but throw the
next exception to the log[1]. But if I tries to print from the notepad it
really suggest to install the printer.

> because you want an experience like what you would get if you tried to
> print from notepad, word, IE, whatever.
> Which was to prompt you to install a printer if there is none.
> That was the idea "back in the day" and is what happened on XP for
> sure.>>  - When the test is executed the printer promts the location
> to where store the pdf file(probably this location can be set to some
> default and we will able to test printing as well at someday)
>
> Even on a system with physical printers configured, if a pdf printer
> is the default you could get prompted, but there is no API that I know of
> that can tell you this.
I guess we need to documents this, since such "additional" windows from
printers/onenotes etc may affect other tests.

--
Best regards, Sergey.