the majors often do whatever it takes to
makes $, that's just the way some people
run their businesses. look at the UR versus
sony and bmg thing. sadly yet another case
of money vs. music. writers, on the other
hand, shouldn't be writing solely for the sake of $,
they should have some sort of interest int he
truth, and have a responsibility to do research,
get the facts, etc. calling "blue" techno is
at first glance a minor thing, but in the whole
scheme of things it's symptomatic of a greater
problem as a whole in the "mass media" when
it comes to writing about "techno". in short,
it's lazy journalism, as far as i can see, but it also
propagates this "--ism", this ignorant fear of the "other" that
is the basis of racism, homophobia, sexism, et al. this
lack of thinking that shoves techno and things
we hold dear into this "other" corner so those
who *don't know* can continue to "educate"
the public with their misunderstanding and misinformation.
(i'll digress for a minute: cleaning up at my
old house at the end of january, it was a literally
freezing cold day and this young man was running
down the street in front of my old place in his
bare feet with just shorts and a t shirt on. my girlfriend
said "hmm, must be drunk", but even drunk people
have a bit more sense than that. yesterday, waiting
for the bus, again, it was a freezing cold day. everyone
at the bus stop had on winter jackets, hats, gloves, scarves,
etc. but this one man had on just jeans and a *t shirt*.
people were freaking out behind his back "oh my god,
this guy is wearing just a t shirt outside and it's like
minus ten below (celcius))" thinking he was some sort
of crazy man. well, it's likely that he (and the bare foot man)
were having a manic
episode (bipolar or schizophrenic) and they just didn't realize
how cold it was because the weather was not registering
with them. i was standing right next to the man at the bus stop and he wasn't
even shivering, wasn't exhibiting anything to show that his
body was even registering the cold. but, because he was
different, this "other", people just couldn't deal with it. back
to the techno thing: writers and people who "can't deal with"
techno, either because they're unfamiliar with what techno
really is or because they are content with the mainstream
status quo, exhibit this "fear of the other" when they hear
something they don't know/understand and think "aha!--techno".
so these journalists who don't have a clue what
techno is often call something "techno"
when they really mean "i don't know what
to call this". that "blue" track is just european
dance music that comes from stuff like
culture beat, technotronic, real mccoy, etc. but a journalist
who doesn't know this simply thinks "hmmm,
this doesn't sound like the dance music i know
like madonna, so, HEY, it must be TECHNO".
(i had a guy call my halifax radio show and say
he really liked what he was hearing. think i
was playing something 313 at the time. but then
the first thing he mentioend was that damn "blue"
track and how it was so underground and he could
only get it on this one certain compilation and how
he loved techno. etc. i tried to explain that because
the song was hard to find on a compilation and new
to him, it didn't make it techno, but i don't think he
really understood. it's things like that that frustrate.
how can you present atkins, bell, hood, et al to
people who think "blue is techno"? alan oldham mentioned
this general area in a recent interview: it's near impossible
to get detroit techno respect/understanding in north
america in the mainstream when you've got mainstream
media propogating things like eiffel 65's "blue" = techno.
again, it seems like a silly thing to discuss on 313, but
it's the little things like this that can often have a big effect.
the word "techno" *needs* have meaning, but the misuse
of it takes that true meaning away and dilutes it for those
who really are techno. rolando's jaguar is truly a techno classic,
and, setting aside the greed and copyright violation aspects
of the ur/sony/bmg case, it's diluting a classic to do such
a horrible cover/grab version. people might hear that
cover/grab version *first* (or might never hear the real
version) and think "oh, so 'that's techno'!". we definitely
don't want that.
more: not sure if you've heard of the jazz artist
jerry granelli, but he did an album with a local
hip hop artist here (stinkin' rich) in halifax and the album got
reviewed last week by a halifax writer who usually only
writes about *classical* music. he wrote that the
album had jazz, hip hop, and "even techno" material.
i have a promo of the album in question and it's got
the jazz and the hip hop, but i don't have a friggin'
clue how this local writer got the word "techno" in
there, unless, because he's used to writing about
classical music only, he just thought "hmmm, i don't
know what this is, so HEY, it must be TECHNO".
again, that's lazy journalism, and, being a writer myself,
i get really really pissed off about that. here in halifax,
the local media is still refering to parties (you know, where
people dance to electronic music all night ;)) as "rave
parties". not "raves" (a word that should be buried), not "parties", but "rave
parties"!
it's almost hilarious, but then again, with the power of the press,
it's just so pathetic in the end because those coming up in the
scene think they're going to a "rave party" after reading about
it in the press here now. the local "alternative" press did a huge story
on the jump up dj aphrodite when he played here in halifax
last year, yet i had to fight tooth and nail to get them to
give me 500 words (about 25% of the length of the aphrodite
piece) to write my terrence parker piece when he came
to play halifax. and, the promoters here said parker played
"detroit techno" on their flyers, bastardised the background
info i gave em, etc, etc, which pissed me off to no end as you
can well imagine. i mentioned in my piece that parker was
an example that detroit did *not* only equal "techno", yet
here were the promoters at the party he was playing couldn't
even get it straight! in the juan atkins interview from last year
for the show, atkins said that his worry is that people will hear
the mortal kombat soundtrack and think "HEY, that must be
TECHNO". you could *really* hear the concern when he
told me this, and i can understand why it would bother him
so much. heck, it bothers me a ton and i haven't contributed
anything whereas he's a main progenitor! enough
rant, must do the dishes and feed the cats. andrew duke :)