On Sunday night I was lucky enough to see Richie spin at Lush in London,
Ontario with a capacity crowd of 360 people.  He came out around 12:30 and
spun the hardest, fastest and most extreme set of techno I've ever felt in
my life.

I don't think I ever saw him look up at the crowd.  Until 5 in the
morning, he focused on the music, dropping one record after another,
turning knobs, cross fading, toying with his 909 and continually finding
some way to bring lifeless banging techno tracks to life.

Beginning with the first record, Richie punished the crowd with his
intensity.  After about an hour, I felt very very spent.  Not only was my
body sore from dancing so hard, but my body was beginning to ache from the
punishing nature of the music.  The basslines shook by bones as the
pounding rattled my brain.

I happen to have a sick taste for the Jeff Mills school of techno:
minimal, banging tracks with subtle modulation and transformations.  But
even my tolerance couldn't handle Richie's set.  Everything felt pitched
up to +8.  Just when a track was beginning to get monotonous after about
30 seconds or so, he would tweak the bassline or mute the highs.  The
sound was continually in a state of flux despite its stagnant nature.

In the end, I had gone through many phases of dancing and exhaustion
during his 5 hour set.  Just when my legs begged me to sit down, he would
drop a track that would just rock my world and make me start dancing
again.

If any of you get a chance to go see him in Toronto this upcoming weekend,
I would recommend it.

There isn't any other DJ -- not even Jeff Mills -- than can match Richie's
technical skills.  He takes bland, lifeless, banging techno records and
brings them to life.  It's almost as though his use of the EQ and 909
shapes the tracks more than the original producer.

Given the hard/harder/hardest nature of his set, it was nice to see just
as many girls getting off as guys.  Perhaps this may be attributed to the
close proximity of Toronto.  In any event, there was a strange
sado-masachistic vibe going on.  Richie loved exhausting the crowd with
his sheer intensity while the crowd kept dancing for hours, soaking up
every moment of pounding techno until we all had to collapse at 5.

After his reprise of Cybersonik's "Machine Gun" -- a track I could never
stand -- John Acquaviva took over.  You had to feel bad for him.  Not only
had Richie just laid down a set that could never be matched, but he also
had completely exhausted the crowd.

Acquaviva started things off with Kenny Dixon Jr.'s "Shades of J."  We
stayed for this beautiful track but soon left.  I had experienced enough
techno for one night.

Again, go see him in Toronto if you get the chance.  And then go see Jeff
Mills in March when he comes to Toronto.  They may spin crazy techno, but
you they will change the way you percieve the art of DJing.

After watching Richie for 5 hours, I look at DJing in a different light.
Many DJs let the records speak.  Ritchie made his records talk.

Jason Birchmeier