On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 4/12/00 11:31:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << What's interesting to me is not so much the cultural angle.....but the
>  fact that they jumped on Ghetto Tech (which is just a more sped up version
>  of miami bass music) oh about.......14 years after the fact as far as i
>  can reckon. >>
> Who jumped on it? Music magazines(doing their job to stay hip) that have had
> dj's, labels, and good promoters pushing it to them and the suburban buying
> masses of club kids(white and black)for years-- whether it is worthy of a
> grain of salt or not. I haven't heard any musicians talkin' about it, other
> than to dismiss it as the Brittney Spears of synthesis. Who cares anyways, if
> people are buyin' sell it- that's capitalism. Isn't it?

What I find interesting is the argument that this music is NEW.  There's
an interesting racial angle in there.....it doesn't exist until large
groups of whites listen to it.  So the first article I read about the
music deals with a white DJ who happened to go to school here at Michigan,
then left after he blew up I think.  The first article I read about house
IN THE CHICAGO PAPERS was in 1991....over ten years at LEAST after it'd
been created.

This is not a new phenomenon, but interesting nonetheless.

> Re: Bass and Booty--- apples and oranges--- very different in ways other than
> pitch. Some bass patters were actually complicated and certainly explored
> tonal quality and lo-end frequencies  ways that were never done before.

Give me an example....it seems to me that BOTH grew out of Detroit
techno....I recall TECHNICOLOR being used for the backdrop of one of 2
Live Crew's early songs.  Ghetto tech is more of a fusion between Miami
and Techno....but this makes them different types of APPLES, rather than
apples on the one hand and oranges on the other.

> I'll take Davis and Coltrane with Evans in a smoke-filled lounge over either
> anytime,    but that's just a matter of taste.

I'm the same way....but I don't know too many house heads that can roll
with either subgenre......

peace
lks