a piece from a feature on Detroit's Mike Grant
from Cognition (http://techno.ca/cognition) re: the use
of "Technicolor":

1985 looked to be Grant's year in Detroit, but before things had started to fall
into place in his DJ
           career, he had already made the decision to join the military. While
in
the forces, Grant DJed as
           often as he could wherever he was stationed, and while in Seattle
inadvertently managed to work a
           little bit of Detroit into a certain rumpshaker from the city's Sir
Mix
A Lot. "I wanted to remain
           involved in the music while I was in the army, so I told Juan
(Atkins) I
was in Seattle and I knew of
           some people who were playing music in the area. He sent me some
records,
one of which was
           'Technicolor' [a 1996 Metroplex single from Channel One--Atkins and
Doug
Craig]," Grant
           remembers. "At the time the radio station was called KFOX and Nasty
Ness
was the DJ on there,
           so I went down to the station, took some Metroplex releases to Ness,
and
wanted to see if he
           could get them some airplay. A few months later, all of sudden you
turn
on MTV and you see Sir
           Mix A Lot with 'Baby Got Back' and listening [to the background
rhythm]
you say, 'hey, that's
           "Technicolor"! I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but
eventually that record really blew up
           and Juan mentioned something to me about it. He was like, 'Didn't I
give
you some records?' And I
           was thinking, 'Damn, you know what? You did!' Consequently, a lawsuit
resulted." Atkins got his
           deserved royalties, and Grant can laugh now at his involvement in
this
now infamous footnote in
           electro history.