I think it depends where the records are pressed. Some plants make picture discs that have worn out sound quality from the beginning. And some manufacture normal sounding picture records. Someone could enlight us what is it with the process of making a pictured disc that distorts the sound? And I've heard complaints too about how coloured vinyl crackles much more than black vinyl... Which seems strange since vinyl originally doesn't have any colour, it's "clear". Black colour is added in the process of making. Maybe other colours have some (dis)qualities that do not produce the best sounding records...? But this went a bit to the chemistry side I'm afraid.

Proffit

From: "Matthew L. Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: (313) Vinyl
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:30:11 -0500

I don't know about that... I've never played any vinyl (save maybe 3 or 4 of
them) to the point where I considered them "worn out."  One thing I have
heard is that "picture discs" don't have the same sound quality as
traditional black vinyl, but that's just something I've heard... I've never
gone out of the way to spend the extra $$$ for a picture disc. As far as my ears can tell, the sound quality for colored vinyl is as good as black vinyl
and I've never seen anything to prove that it wears faster.  I say buy
without worry :)

Matt
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage: http://magicmattkelly.tripod.com