ROTATION April 15 2000 Iowa City Iowa
DJ MEL/Simon Thought/DJ Miche/DJ T1000

Disclaimer: I work at Rotation so I'm biased. But ask anyone who has played
here -- we get our party on here like no where else.

Preview: On the Detroit tip, we have Derek Plaslaiko next Fri Apr 16,
and Terrence Parker Sat Apr 29.  Any out of towners interested in coming
contact me ...

Shortest review: Banging, but with soul!

Short review: T1000 gave us a burning, suprisingly melodic trip
through hard techno.

Longer, more subjective review: Everything about this night really could
not have been better.  Before AO came on we had 3 of our local DJs --
Mel, in his Rotation debut, started things off with a bang. Simon Thought
played a good set that made good use of effects to warp tracks into something
new -- when it was working the best, the effects turned Simon's bass heavy
minimal tracks into a throbbing beast.

And my best girl, DJ Miche played a really adventurous and eclectic set,
starting out with some new electro tracks and working into a funky house
groove.  Heads should be booking this girl world wide, because I know no
one else with as deep a love of the music going back to the '80s. She can
hit you with a set of old school Electro that will bring tears to your
eyes.

T-1000 though, gave up one of those DJ sets that raises the roof, sets it
on fire, and make people want to dance in the flames.  It goes without saying
that Alan can bang it with the best of them, but Saturday night he was having
an absolute love fest with the kids on the dance floor.  Maybe we're hicks
in Iowa, but people here still yell and throw their hands in the air when
they're feeling it, and Alan was loving it.

Standing on stage I could see Alan form an energy loop with the dancefloor.
He'd kill the bass, yell something to the people down front, they'd yell
back, then when the bass dropped again, the whole dance floor would be
pogo-ing and Alan would be too.  The higher he took the music, the higher
the crowd would go.  Even when he dropped "Love is So Strange" by
Missing Persons people were still dancing.

And yes he dropped one of the "Jaguar" remixes.  That track is well
on it's way to becoming overexposed, but I'm still loving it. Aside from
that he had loads of absolutely killer white labels, which seemed to
have a lot more melody and soul to them than a lot of the swedish style
bangers that have been so popular.

>From my point of view we had as close to a perfectly famous good time
as is humanly possible. At the risk of sounding corny, everyone was
feeling the love.  This kind of night is what the old schoolers
look back on wistfully, when the vibe was right.  It can still happen.

Much respect to AO and all the other DJs, and especially to the couple
dozen kids who stayed down front all night, jacking their bodies and
grinning like fools.  By the end of the night it was hot as a blast
furnace, and the girls were taking their shirts off too.

kent williams -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]