It seems to me that a big hit record is often a death sentence for a dance
act (and I use the term in its loosest sense). They can come to appear as
novelty acts, as they rarely follow up with anything as catchy, people only
ever associate them with that one record and everyone gets bored very
quickly.

AFAIK, Paris has only had one record out prior to 'Sandwiches' anyway - the DGP track is the first released collaboration between the two?

Also, wearing dresses and green wigs on-stage isn't going to be shifting the 'novelty' tag anytime soon.

Its fun, party music. By design, it has a short shelf-life.

If I was them, I'd play it very carefully. If the record is to come out
here, I wouldn't overdo it by doing too much press etc and - although I
doubt very much whether they'dbe able to influence this - I personally would
make sure that only enough copies were pressed to allow the record to go so
far and no further.

Why? It'd be great to see DGP make some money out of what is a great track. Why limit this?

And it'd be nice to see a good track in the UK charts.

On the other hand, they might relish the idea of a hit and be confident that
they can follow through, in which case good luck to them. I just think it's
more likely that they'll have one big hit, one mediocre hit (in terms of
chart position) after that and then be forgotten and dismissed, like so many
acts before them.

I don't think thats any big problem? This is their first released track right? And its blowing up. I think they realise that - it'll be cool if they can keep doing hits but in the meantime this is a great starting point for them. If they're forgotten and dismissed, they just go back to where they started. Except they'll now have a nicer studio.

And a bigger wig collection :)

On a related note, doesn't it just show once again that given some exposure
there are many more potential hit records in the 'electronic'/'underground'
scene than is usually assumed?

I think the success of DGP is that this is a semi-booty party track but its the kind of track you can play to your parents ie. my mum wouldn't like Assaults "Kill the bitch!" vocal but she'd probably think the falsetto DGP as kind of funny.

Also they have a dream, crazy frontman in Paris. Very marketable.

And its a great track. I'd love to see them on TOTP.