Have you ever heard of an effects processor, they do
wonders to drum sounds...
The salesman at guitar center can also help you out
with this question..
   FYI, the MC 303 contains direct samples from the
909 that can be tuned(with a knob movement) to exact
replication of the original, if you know what you're
doing. No synthesizer is crap, they can all be used
for something!! You can also purchase a tr-909 at many
different shops in the us and abroad, but there is
more to creating music that having the 909 kick
drum...

hope that helps you in your quest for replication
willy.