on 6/19/00 12:25 PM, Gwendal Cobert at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> solely responsible for beginning two major cultural, youth-oriented
>> revolutions one being with the R&B/Motown thaing.  It wasn't
> why did not you add punk ? MC5, Iggy Pop & The Stooges...
> Gwendal

This is actually a good point, and one we've struggled with before.

When you say "Detroit" and "contribution to music", you can argue that Bob
Seger belongs there, and Ted Nugent, as well as Diana Ross, Iggy, and Kevin
Saunderson.

What Laura seemed to be doing in her post was drawing the natural
non-geographic parallels between Motown and Detroit Techno (the start-up
independent label, predominantly African-American owners, producers and
talent, etc.)

Well, Seger and Nugent don't fit this mold, so we'll drop them.  But Iggy
might still count as a "rule-breaker" Detroit export--an original that
allowed for a notable UK mutation.  Nevermind the bollocks...

--
There4IM

(nice post Laura)