well put.

From: "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313 Detroit <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Passion and Survival
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:21:01 +0900

If you find a good interview with Juan Atkins I think it will answer your
question. I think even the notes accompanying his recent mix CD addressed
this, if I am not mistaken?

Juan and co never said they invented electronic music per se, but what they
did is transform European influences (and don't forget Kraftwerk cited James
Brown as a huge influence) into something very radical and difererent - ie
techno.

What so often happens especially in America is that the media wants to
credit today's electronic music - influenced by and based on techno and
house - to New Order etc, effectively writing out its African American
auteurs and the huge, huge transformative role they played. They turned
electronic music into a culture, recontextualising it and investing it with
a very different meaning. It's late and I have been harangued all day by
promoters, but hopefully that makes sense.