No one is dismissing the legacy of New Order or Depeche Mode, et al. I
wasn't a fan but of course New Order were important. If you read the NME and
those Brit rock rags in the 80s NO were deified. Yet the NME and Melbody
Maker, which set up the tradition for rock (and later dance journalism),
privilege white usually heterosexual males making punk/rock-inspired music
(albeit they embraced Morrissey) at the expense of others and Joy
Division/NO came from that, so they were appropriated in that context. NME
pretends to be so left wing yet it's bullocks, taking the piss out of the
Wu-Tang and Drexciya and jumping on dance and hip-hop just because it's a
novelty to them. NO dominated that Dancing In The Streets series and had
more coverage than Prince!