-----Original Message-----
From: Chloe Sasson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org <313@hyperreal.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 10:18 PM
Subject: [313] Bits and Pieces

>Just a few responses to some of the posts of late

>3. Also the relation between music and art.. very interesting. the obvious
>connection here is graffiti in hip hop - isn't it unusuall that no other
art
>forms have really been spawned as a close relation of another musical
style?
>Thoughts?

I don't know how new this is. If you look at the history of visual art (i'm
really no authority) it seems like most of the established artists draw from
current philosophical/critical discussions, the social moment and other
forms of art for inspiration pretty often. I think what's interesting about
graffiti in terms of this discussion is that both graffiti and hip hop come
about almost at the same time and work hand in hand, both completely
rejecting the means and methods of nearly all that precedes them, and doing
so in a very counter-cultural or subcultural way - outside of the music and
art mainstreams. That probably isn't new either, but the extremity of the
change and the availability to low income participants is a pretty drastic
change. then again, I'm really not an authority, I'm sure others know more
about it than me and can expound upon that.

Not completely related: Futura 2000's work for Mo' Wax seems pretty nice to
me, especially Heads Vol. 2. Not sure if this is original work for the
label, but there's a strong relationship there. His stuff is on a good deal
of their releases.

Two anecdotal notes:

I saw an exhibition at the Chicago MOMA with a weird huge styrofoam looking
ball with headphone plugs all over it. The headphones played Stereolab's
Aluminum Tunes. Nice...

The San Francisco MOMA recently had it's (10th?) anniversary party featuring
the work of Sol Lewitt (?) with Mark Ambrose and Stacey Pullen spinning. The
exhibition was open til 2am and Stacey Pullen DJed until 4am.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger