Hello,

This idea goes back a lot further, you would have to look into academic
electronic circles for the beginning of concept. Off hand, Edgard Varese
and Stockhausen both employed this concept in their installation work in
the 1950's. I am sure there were other using this concept in their
installation work during the early days of tape music. I would imagine
poly-channel sound goes back even further than the 1950's. I have a
collection of academic electronic music history books from the late
60's/early 70's, I will have a look through them tomorrow afternoon for
more info. Anything people are doing now in digital media is simply a
technological refinement of concepts people were carrying at least half
a century ago.

Take care,
Mike

--