Can you tie it in with "trance" states induced by music in such religions as Voodoo or with Native American dance and shamanism? Also look at societies such as the South Pacific Islands and the similarities in the tribal techno music from Sweden (the drumming rhythms are freaky similar). I don't know if there are any similarities in the communities in those societies and those within the electronic music realm. (I think there is but don't know what it is...need for tribalistic association? Though I doubt that that would draw people specifically to repetative music because there's groups like this who used to follow the Grateful Dead and their music wasn't exactly repetative.)

Fred

From: "jesse henning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] the appeals of repetition...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:41:21 PDT

I am presently working on some psych-socio theory on repetition in music and
why its an attractor to some, and an utter bore to others.  I was wondering
if there is already some theory, be it music theory and/or psycho-social
theory, in which asks and solves this question...

What I am avoiding is the usual answer of "its in your heart...", ect.  I
feel that there is a more concrete explination to this appeal, we as
arttists tend to be dramatic and vague, i wish to define...

I wont get into it now, but I am working on a approach that deals with
personality typing (introversion/extroversion, ect.)...

this is research for possible academic publication...

thank you,

darw_n

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.sphereproductions.com