Okay, I think I knew what a chord (from my childhood year or two of piano lessons) and string were: though actually I wasn't sure that a string literally referred to a string. Is a string a digitally synthesized sound that resembles a string? or actually a sample of a string?

And I'm still not entirely sure that I understand what a pad is. A prolonged ambient sound is my understanding of the answers I've got. Can a chord or a string be a pad?

I'm being a pedant, but the reason I want to know is that the music I like is often described as having deep chords, delicate strings and lush pads. I just want to be sure I know what people are talking about.

Cheers

Rol