it's not "a string" at all. rather as you say "delicate strings" plural.
                                                        ^^^^^^!
strings means a real or (more likely) simulated string section--cello,
violin, etc.
yes, pads and strings would likely be playing chords. strings
can be digitally or electronically synthesized, and they can
also be samples.

a pad? nobody knows what a pad is :) but in common usage it's any
lush sustaining or long undulating sound that usually isn't too
rich sounding so that it can fill (pad) a mix without dominating it.

i'm being more the pedant here. :) i don't really want to be that way,
but since nobody else gave a good definition of strings...