rubbing alcohol works well, especially on mold or
water damaged records.  windex is a less abrasive way
of getting rid of easier to clean stuff: finger
prints, grease etc.  i even knew someone who swore by
his air freshener spray!  record cleaning liquid works
well, but is relatively expensive and does the same as
alcohol or windex.
nick.