my thing with the ghetto is its involvement in the creation of the music.
detroit techno is a movement, and the economical social climate of detroit
is one huge influence. when i'm hearing detroit techno, it sounds like it
does because of its environment. its reflecting the city, not the suburbs.
maybe its reflecting the city in comparison to the suburbs. perhaps bringing
to mind the movement of the city to the suburbs, strip malls, plastic drive
through cities, rows of houses that look the same. i hold that detroit
techno is a movement involved with the city as much as motown, or john
sinclair's blending of white jazz black jazz white poetry black poetry. any
movement such as this has a driving force behind it. creation of a musical
movement doesn't spontaneously happen. thats why i refer to the ghetto.

the financial status of kids in the ghetto is something i see as relational
to the music, only because it reflects the city. the financial status of
kids in the suburbs does not reflect to me any significant expressional
intentions in the music. the kids in the suburbs that are getting involved
in the music, making it or just simply enjoying it, i'm not denying that its
great. but i think the music of detroit displaced from its environment does
lose some of its expression, the intention its creation thrives off of,
especially for those who aren't familiar in the least with the city.
possibly like hip hop, we're not dealing specifically with a genre of
musical style but a system of ideology and reflection that creates a music
style, a culture. it seems that way in any significant movement in music or
the arts in general. expression is brought forth under clouds of everything
in society. so i'm not denying that kids in the suburbs of detroit or even
the suburbs of stockholm don't or can't create detroit techno. i'm saying
that the sound isn't everything and if they are just trying to replicate the
sound they have entirely different intentions than what forms detroit
techno. in this way the ghetto, a term i use to refer not to any set places
in the city but the atmosphere of the city in general, plays a huge role in
the development of detroit techno.

i'm not being elitist about detroit. i have never lived in detroit. i grew
up in flint and now i go to school and live in ann arbor. i just question
the notion that detroit techno is just a sound and i look for things that
could be one of the various driving forces behind its creation.

i don't think that people just pressing vinyl instead of cds are elitist. in
my opinion, not catering to the crowd that views the music apart from its
intended state is one of the best things people in detroit techno can do. i
don't think its a leisure movement for commercializing or advertisement.
that creates those cheesy classical compilations where Beethoven's 9th is
cropped to 20 minutes, losing any intended expression while tending a crowd
of sheep that take their music in small doses while never reflecting on the
artists intentions. i don't want people who experience detroit techno to be
like the uneducated individuals in art galleries saying "it means whatever
you think it means." expression has intention. and i think the intention is
tied in to the cultural climate, the ghetto in a broad sense of the word, of
detroit.

oh. this is a long post.....i'll end it.

anyway, a great book that discusses musical intention and expression in
pretty good detail is stravinsky's 'poetics of music'. sure, he's dead. and
he lived before anything like detroit techno was even conceptualized, but he
isn't talking just about so called classical music. he talks about anything
we can call music. a very good read for anyone who wants to think a little
more about music.

cheers.

--
Joshua Hill - [EMAIL PROTECTED]