I dont really want to get too far into this.  I'll just say one thing
regarding ghetto vs. suburbs - it seems like people like to view kids from
the suburbs as somehow less real, as if it is undesireable to grow up in the
suburbs and ghetto kids are somehow better people, keeping it real and all
that sort of thing...

But come on, why cant people just be people regardless of where they are
raised?  And alot of techno innovaters and creators are from the suburbs
anyway, Belleville aint the middle of the ghetto for starters...

>>>i don't think that people just pressing vinyl instead of cds are elitist.
in
>>>my opinion, not catering to the crowd that views the music apart from its
>>>intended state is one of the best things people in detroit techno can do.

Well, I am from Detroit, so hopefully that qualifys me to understand the
music in your eyes.  Although anyone who loves this music can understand it
if you ask me.  But anyway, I cant ever get ahold of the music.  I live in
the UK these days, and the price of a rare import from the states is
absolutely absurd.  If I was a DJ and had lots of cash to spend, then maybe I
would have a huge vinyl collection.  But as I am not a DJ, and I am not rich,
I would rather spend 15 pounds on a CD with like 15 tracks on it than a 12"
single with one or two tracks and some remixes.  Even if its a crappy CD
compilation that only has 6 good tracks on it, in terms of music for money,
its still doing better than most pieces of vinyl.

I think vinyl is great, and I do enjoy going to record stores and pretending
I belong there, browsing through it all and having a listen to stuff I havent
ever heard before, its great.  But, when it comes time to spend my money, I
want as much music as possible, for as little cash as possible.  Therefore I
do really appreciate CD releases, and I wish alot more stuff was available on
CD.  I really can't see any logical reason to try and keep the music all
hidden away so only a select few can hear it.  There are people all over the
world who love this stuff, why deprive them of it simply because they dont
live in Detroit?  Alot of them (like myself) used to live in Detroit anyway.

Aaron

P.S. - I also contend with the idea that Detroit is one big ghetto, I quite
like the city, and while it has its rough parts, it has got some lovely
neighborhoods and some good things going for it as well - of all the places
I've lived, I think Detroit has got to be one of my favourites.