hello,

seeing as how everybody I know who has good taste in dance music has
been on the nuts of Profan, Studio 1, Auftribe, and everything Mike Ink
and the Structure Posse have had a hand in in the last 5 years; I think
it is just the logical conclusion of Post-millsian techno. The clicks,
pops, growls and general weirdness of Cologne techno has been
assimilated by a good portion of the innovative techno community.

All those new school american basic channel guys love that stuff. The
west coast school of techno is very influenced by what is going on in
Europe, and that influence is showing through in their music. Seth
Horvitz, Shawn Hatfield, Josh Clayton and Stewart Walker are all aware
of what is going on in the weird end of techno, and it shows.  I think
it might have something to do with the fact that they do not have the
history that producers in Detroit might have holding them back. They are
kind of outside of that influence, and I think it might give them a
freedom that subconsciously Detroit producers do not have.

Is it a movement or a new school, I don't know about that. To me it just
just a bunch of guys who all came up around the same time that released
on similar labels. I think the main thing that connected them is that in
a way they were all outsiders. The Belief Systems/Context/Cytrax/Static
scene in the bay area is isolated in a way. There is not a strong techno
scene out there like there is/was in the Midwest. also, I think most of
those guys will tell you that they don't really care for the
stereotypical carefree California lifestyle.

I could keep babbling on about it, but perhaps Twerk and Sutekh would
like to toot their own horns, as they are both on this list. whatever
they are, they make some great records. Sutekh's track on Clicks and
Cuts is my favorite on the comp, Kit Clayton's Scape records are off the
hook, and what can you say about Stewart Walker and John Tejada. I still
need Periods.Make.Sense but its on the top of my list...I am so behind
with record shopping ;)

Take care,
Mike